I’m a Broadcast Journalist looking to develop my experience and make a career in broadcasting. I have particular interest in politics, aviation and defence. This site is my personal portfolio, where I showcase my best work and blog about stories I’m interested in (my #avgeek blog posts are here).
City, University of London – MA Broadcast Journalism
September 2017 – June 2018
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council accredited course covering radio and tv news gathering, social media, ethics and practical application through ‘newsdays’.
- Includes training on software such Adobe Audition, Adobe Premier Pro and Burli.
- Introduced to data journalism packages like DataWrapper and Tableau.
- Features guest lectures from John Battle, Head of Compliance at ITN, Penny Marshall, ITV Social Affairs Editor and FOI Expert Professor Heather Brooke
University of Surrey – First Class Honours, BSc Mathematics
September 2014 – July 2017
- Degree course covering a wide range of subjects, including fluid dynamics and statistics.
- Developed analytical thinking and problem solving ability.
- Achieved a first class result in a dissertation on Fluid Dynamics, using computer programming skills.
Jack FM Berkshire, Reading – General Election Night Reporter
- Recording interviews with successful candidates, along with voice reports, for morning bulletins.
- Edited audio and provided copy for newsreaders.
- Covering the progress of the count on social media through the night.
Stag Radio, Guildford – Presenter, Producer and Station Manager
September 2014 – July 2017
- Highlights included reporting on the 2016 Guildford Mayoral Referendum, securing interviews with both sides of the debate.
- Presented Surrey Decides debates, hosting question time session on Youtube live stream with more than 6,000 views.
- Leading on journalistic output for the station, founding the Wednesday Weekly programme.
- Managing the operations of the station from day to day, including station policy and compliance with OFCOM.
Abbey104, Sherborne – Presenter and Producer
September 2012 – August 2015
- Founding presenter and producer of Abbey104’s first sports show, Sports Hour.
- Working alone to source guests and produce audio from the sporting community around Sherborne.
May 2017 – University of Surrey Students’ Union Student Media Award recipient
- Competent user of Adobe Audition and RCS Zetta software.
- Competent film maker and editor, using camera equipment and Adobe Premier Pro.
- Experience of managing and creating content for social media feeds.
- Experience of online content management systems, including WordPress.
- Experience of compliance and exercising editorial judgement.
- Experienced team player and leader in a broadcast environment.